Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tsunami = Overteaching

I love Gallagher's analogy of the tsunami in this chapter.  The idea that teacher's are stifling learning by continuously overteaching and interrupting in the midst of great books.  By doing this, teachers are interrupting the flow of good reading.  No wonder student's do not develop a passion or love for reading if they never are allowed to engage with the texts that they are given.  I would get upset if someone stopped me in the midst of reading to tell me something about it (I also like his analogy of stopping someone in the middle of movies-but film critics do this).  Part of why I developed my love for reading was the way college classrooms were set up.  The ability to read books by myself uninterrupted and then come to the classroom to discuss them in an open forum appealed to me and developed my love for reading.  Unfortunately, in the secondary classroom setting this seems to be impossible for many reasons.  I agree with a lot of what Gallagher says here, but again, I wish he gave more examples of how to effectively avoid this.  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Jessica,
    I'm wondering why secondary classrooms can't incorporate some of the reading and discussion that you mention is so supportive to you as a reader? How can we change secondary schools?

    ReplyDelete